Friday 20 August 2010

Viva La Railvolution

After 8 long hours of being subject to the latest enforced doctrine of my rulers I wearily found my way out of my temporary prison into an overcast Docklands evening.

I had fought the good fight and gallantly battled to keep the dogma of my keepers from permeating my consciousness. I had struggled with all my might so as not to be deceived by the “inspirational” slogans, and slick sound bites which had polluted my environment for longer than I wished, secretly knowing that behind the name badges, free biscuits and role plays something sinister was afoot.

Seeing through the wholesome smiles and enthusiastic deliveries of those charged with instilling into their subjects the latest core values and beliefs, I had escaped with mere fragments of my soul and independent thoughts unscathed.

I looked through pitying eyes at my less fortunate peers who had been captured by the rhetoric, milling around like an army of labotomized Randall P McMurphys and made my exit before Nurse Ratched noticed that one of her flock had eluded the latest bout of indoctrination.

Corporate training was over for another day and I had survived….just.

In the shadows of the glazed towers that encompass Canary Wharf, I hurriedly made my way to the DLR station, glancing over my shoulder occasionally to ensure I wasn’t being tailed by one of Big Brother’s heavies.

“Lewisham 1 minute” read the digital timetable as I reached the top of the escalator. I let out a sigh of relief, safe in the knowledge I would soon be away from these soulless, sterile surroundings and returning to the oasis of South East London.

As the train approached, I spared a thought for those poor beings still toiling away in front of their identikit computers in the offices up above me. Enslaved in the homogenous, open- planned workhouses tapping away at meaningless spreadsheets and reports, telling themselves it is not forever and that one day they, rather than some faceless fat cat, will benefit from the fruits of their labour. Praying every morning that lottery win will come and rescue them from this grinding existence before drowning their sorrows that evening in All Bar One grounded by the realisation that their numbers haven’t come up and once again faced with the stark reality that they must return for yet another week of spirit- crushing endeavour.

As the carriage rattled along the elevated track I realised that in my haste to escape the concrete jungle I had forgotten to swipe my Oyster card. I contemplated the inevitable confrontation that would ensue with a ticket inspector, involving me squirming as I tried to explain that I was not in fact a common criminal intent on defrauding Transport for London but rather an honest, law- abiding citizen who had just absent mindedly forgotten to tap in after a day of having my brain infused with futile jargon.

It occurred to me that if I was fortunate enough to make it the ten stops to Lewisham national rail station, avoiding said inspectors, I would not need to swipe out at the other end and thus avoiding the disproportionate penalty fare.

The Gods smiled on me.

As we pulled into the station I noticed it was 5.26pm. My train was due to depart at 5.27 and missing it would involve a 30 minute wait on a crowded platform staring into space and trying to avoid the obligatory crack addict that inevitably finds his way to me and acts like I questioned his parentage when I refuse to part with £2 so he can “phone his nan in hospital”.

It was not a risk I was willing to take so with gusto and vigour I battled my way up the stairs, fighting my way through the crowds and got to the barriers catching sight of my train ready to depart. As I got to the platform the doors began to close and I feared than my heroic efforts had been in vain. Just as I was about to fall to my knees in despair, a spotty teenager stood aboard the train, saw my plight and shouted “Come on mate” before mustering up brutal strength to prise the doors open allowing me to join the party. A true hero and an act that has gone a long way to restore my somewhat lapsed faith in today’s youth.

So after a wretched day of mind- numbing, toe – curling obedience to the powers that be I had scored a small result.

Free travel and I made the early train against the odds. Victory for the ordinary man.


Fuck the system.


Today has been a good day for the People.

No comments:

Post a Comment